Girls on the Run is a transformational physical activity based positive youth development program for girls in 3rd-8th grade. We teach life skills through dynamic interactive lessons and running games. The program culminates with the girls being physically and emotionally prepared to complete a celebratory 5k running event. The goal of the program is to unleash confidence through accomplishment while establishing a lifetime appreciation of health and fitness.
The 20-lesson Girls on the Run curriculum combines training for a 5K (3.1 miles) running event with lessons that inspire girls to become independent thinkers, enhance their problem-solving skills, and make healthy decisions.
All of this is accomplished through an active collaboration with girls and their parents, schools, volunteers, staff, and the community.
How does Girls on the Run work?
Girls on the Run is SO MUCH MORE THAN A RUNNING PROGRAM. Teams of 8-15 girls meet twice a week after school for 10 weeks and participate in lessons aimed at promoting positive self esteem and avoiding at risk behaviors. Using the copyrighted Girls on the Run curriculum we focus on 1 topic per lesson and incorporate that topic throughout our whole warm up and work out. Coach led discussions require girls to identify their values, learn how work together, and connect with the community at large. Running (or walking) is incorporated throughout the lesson so that by the end of 10 weeks the girls are able to participate in a celebratory 5k event.
Fall 2014 GOTR / GOT Sites
- Appleton Alliance Church (GOTR) – Monday & Thursday 5:00-6:30
- Franklin Elementary (GOTR) – Monday & Wednesday 3:30-5:00
- Janet Berry Elementary (GOTR) – Monday & Wednesday 3:30-5:00
- Johnston Elementary (GOTR) – Tuesday & Thursday 3:20-4:50
- McKinley Elementary (GOTR)- Monday & Thursday 3:30-5:00
- St. Thomas More (GOTR) – Wednesday & Friday 3:15-4:45
- Wilson Middle (GOT) – Monday & Thursday 3:30-5:00
- Chilton Elementary (GOTR) – Tuesday & Thursday 3:30-5:00
- Boys and Girls Club of Green Bay (GOT) – Tuesday & Thursday 6:00-7:30
- Horace Mann Middle (GOT) – Monday & Wednesday 3:30-5:00
- Lakeview Elementary (GOTR) – Tuesday & Thursday 3:15-4:45
- Roosevelt/Alliance Elementary (GOTR) – Monday & Thursday 3:20-4:50
- St. Margaret Mary Elementary (GOTR) – Monday & Wednesday 3:15-4:45
- Spring Road Elementary (GOTR) – Tuesday & Thursday 6:30-8:00
- Wilson Elementary (GOTR) – Tuesday & Thursday 3:15-4:45
- New Hoslstein Elementary (GOTR) – Monday & Thursday 3:15-4:45
- Oaklawn Elementary (GOTR) – Monday & Friday 2:40-4:10
- Washington Elementary (GOTR) – Monday & Thursday 2:45-4:15